Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

When I'm with a large group of relatives, I get to feeling a little self-conscience. Some of them know and some of them don't. I wouldn't mind if they all knew. It's no secret.

I wonder where my future wife and I will fit into the whole family equation. Will be welcomed and accepted, automatically without a second thought, like any other couple would? Will we be taken seriously? Will people say, "Ariel and her 'friend'?"

What about my future kids? Could I bring children into such a family of differences? I don't know if I want kids for sure, but I don't want my fear of being a different kind of family to be a final deciding factor.

This video gave me a lot to think on.



I have a cousin who moved to Canada a few years ago. She has two kids and lives with her new wife. I'm always surrounded by models of straight families. I wish I had a model similar to how my family will be that I could look up to... My future family life feels like a giant unknown right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment